International students in NSW can now apply for temporary crisis accommodation funded by the NSW Government in partnership with quality student accommodation and homestay providers.
The NSW Government is providing a $20 million package for international students who are stranded in Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The package includes:
- a temporary accommodation scheme delivered through quality student accommodation and homestay providers
- increased support via the International Legal Service NSW and making available 50,000 free subscriptions to the multilingual My Legal Mate student app
- a dedicated 24/7 international student support hotline (13 77 88) offering free advice and information about medical, mental health, legal, emergency and other support.
The crisis accommodation is limited to student visa holders in genuine need, who:
- have been evicted or are facing imminent eviction
- have been laid off employment
- have less than $1500 in savings and no other avenues of support.
To apply, international students in NSW will need to have the following documentation:
- Passport or Australian drivers licence
- confirmation of enrolment
- letter of support from their educational institution (please speak to your student support services team for this. Study NSW has sent them a letter template they can use)
- latest bank statement
- evidence of unemployment (if available)
- evidence of being evicted (if available)
CLICK HERE TO APPLY through the Service NSW website or call 13 77 88
We encourage education providers, agents, student leaders and community organisations to amplify this announcement by sharing these Study NSW social media posts:
Learn how the NSW Government is supporting international students on the Study NSW website.
For the latest NSW Government COVID-19 announcements, news, updates and advice, visit www.nsw.gov.au