About the business
Journal is an inspirational place to work and a bold new player in Australia’s expanding student accommodation market. We create, design and manage first-class accommodation where students connect, thrive, and excel. We’re passionate about helping students take on the challenge of living in a new city and studying in a new place.
Our culture is dynamic, quick-paced and forward thinking. We’re all about excellence and collaboration – we love teasing out ideas, testing concepts and innovating, which requires staff to be flexible, nimble and receptive to diverse activities, working hours and locations of work in our growing business.
Our facilities offer students high-quality accommodation, comprehensive student life programs and outstanding customer service. We currently have two sites and 1400 beds under development in some of the best locations in Melbourne.
The Facility General Manager will put their stamp on Journal operations by leading the establishment of our flagship facility operationally and commercially.
This crucial team member will have full responsibility for managing a 24/7 52 week a year boutique student accommodation operation and multi-functional team.
This is a once in a career opportunity and we are excited to welcome our first Facility General Manager to the team.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Offer outstanding supportive leadership and model standards for staff to emulate.
- Mobilisation of property ensuring a smooth transition from pre-opening to operating.
- Recruit, train and manage a high performing, multifunctional facility team.
- Full accountability for operating revenue, expenses, operating within budget and budget preparation for the facility.
- Identify business and marketing opportunities to maximise revenue generation for the business and the facility.
- Oversee implementation of student activities to contribute to student retention goals.
- Establish and maintain exceptional customer service standards and oversee service recovery procedures.
- Develop, implement and review policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with legislation, funding agreements and relevant requirements of partners.
- Manage emergency response immediately, at any time of day
- Maintain excellent OHS standards for staff and students within the facility.
- Oversee all resident discipline, safety and welfare incidents/ concerns.
- Ensure customer satisfaction targets are met and exceeded.
- Establish, maintain and maximise key stakeholder relationships to support the delivery of facility operations.
- Oversee delivery of service agreements and contracts with external providers.
- Establish and monitor an annual asset management plan, including the development of efficient and timely response practises.
- Ensure harmonization of software systems and internal procedures.
- Develop practises to ensure continuous improvements in all facility operations areas.
Skills and experience
- Extensive experience in the management of facilities, significant human, financial resources, residential properties and tenancy agreements.
- Success in developing, managing and operating residential facilities within the student accommodation, hotels and / or property development sectors.
- Experience in stakeholder management at all levels including students, management, staff, volunteers, contractors, partners, local community, government.
- Direct relevant experience in dealing effectively and empathically with young adults
- Proven leadership in training and managing staff in the delivery of exceptional customer service and exceptional student experiences, within the accommodation sector.
- Experience in management of after-hours and welfare operations within a residential setting or customer focused environment.
- Demonstrated high level commercial/ business acumen, including strong financial management and report writing skills.
- Proven ability in creating and implementing practical policies, procedures and business rules with efficient and effective use of software systems.
- High level skills in the use/ development and refinement of student management or hotel management software.
- Demonstrated problem solving, conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to identify emerging issues, trends and risks and to formulate practical options, develop procedures, program strategies and initiate change.
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative work teams
- Demonstrated strong negotiation, interpersonal and problem-solving skills including persuasive abilities, effective listening, diplomacy and tact.
- Direct and extensive experience in critical incident management for a residential facility.
- Demonstrated agility, initiative and get-up and go to get the job done in a dynamic environment with a passion for innovation.
- Ability to plan, time manage and implement activities and be flexible to working outside of normal business hours.
- Applicants must have a valid Working with Children Check
Job benefits and perks
An attractive salary package plus performance bonus (based on KPIs) is on offer to the successful candidate based on their skills and experience
Does this sound like the job for you? For a confidential discussion about the position, please contact John Colley at Journal Student Living on 03 9001 0675 or email John at: firstname.lastname@example.org